Saturday, May 16, 2015

Culture and Class

There are unspoken classes in society. It is based on what we do for a living and the weather around us. It also includes schooling, and education systems.  A lot of it is based on the culture you grew up in. People tend to think of it as just upper and lower class, but there is more to it than that. Something that I thought was interesting that our Professor Brother Williams, Marriage and Family Therapist and adjunct faculty of BYU-Idaho said, People usually tend to have one less child than they grew up with." Once he said that I immediately started thinking about how many children I wanted compared to how many children were in my family, and it was true. I was from a family of three, two brothers and me. I want to have two children, one of each. I couldn't believe it, it was totally true for me. Family comes from familial. Family is familiar, that is why we do the same things, because we see it and think that is what we need to do. It takes about 3-4 generations for a significant event to wash out. "Borrow from the best and learn from the rest". I think that is great advice. There is no sense in holding on to the past that will prevent you from moving forward. You need to recognize it and continue on. Genealogy helps us to understand our families and their decisions/actions. Choices determine class. We judge others by their choices. One thing that was very interesting to me is how both the upper and lower class have similar problems. They both are focused on money, have limited time and worries about education and attention. The upper class is working a lot and trying to earn money, same as the lower class because they don't have enough. The lower class doesn't have money or resources for education, and the upper class puts a lot of stress on getting into the best school or having a high education. The upper class is working so they don't spend time with their children, and the lower class is always working because they need to earn money to survive so they can't spend time with their children. If you really take a step back and really look at it, we have similar problems. We just don't think about it or see it, because we are focused on our status in society. We are missing the point of family! People's expectations, what they're seen. Does how much money we have really matter? Will it effect how our family dynamic will be? What about culture? Make a conscious decision to change. It all comes back to the home! People are focused on time and money. "You can never get enough of what you don't need because what you don't need cannot satisfy you." You need to look at your time availability and your child's needs! Negative attention to feel good doesn't meet needs. Recognize and respond to needs. How will you create your own family class? Really think about that, I know that I have. I don't want to keep making the same mistakes that my family has in the past. I want to learn from them and grow and do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment